Semi Permanent Hiatus

Writerly pursuits have unfortunately prevented me from posting for quite some time. I do hope to return to regular posts in the future, and so will keep the blog up until that time either does or does not happen. In the meantime, feel free to peruse the articles posted here or contact me with any questions. Thanks for reading! - Jen

Monday, June 2, 2008

EnvironMental Monday: Say Goodbye to Eau de Dog


I love almost everything about my dogs: the way they greet me when I come home from a long day, Adie's sweet little head-tilt when she hears something funny, the way Killian paws my leg when he wants a belly rub. The one thing I don't love about my dogs?

The smell.

Most of the time, my pups aren't stinky creatures - that's one of the benefits of a good, homemade diet. However, the healthiest diet in the world won't diminish the unmistakable smell of a wet dog. Yesterday, our trio - Adie, Killian, and I - were caught in a downpour on the way home from our walk, and the house hasn't been the same since. The musty smell of damp dawg has seeped into blankets, corners, and seemingly the very fabric of the building itself. What's a girl to do?

I went to the grocery store with just that question in mind, and came home armed with six different remedies that seemed sure to restore my olfactory health. Here's what I tried, and here's what I found.

(1) Air Wick Scented Oil Warmer. This is a plastic device that you plug into a standard outlet. You can choose a number of differently scented oils sold separately, plug the warmer into the outlet, and voila. Instant fragrance. Nice, huh? Actually... Not so much, at least to me. I chose a fragrance called "Relaxation," a blend of lavender and chamomile that sounded promising. This may not be typical of all of the blends, but this particular scent was anything but relaxing - definitely overpowering, and not for anyone with any kind of sinus or allergy issues.

(2) Glade Peaches and Petals Scented Candle. As scented candles go, this one is not bad - though again, anyone with sinus or allergy problems should beware. The fragrance was not overpowering, diffused well throughout the house, and left a pleasant, subtly peachy scent long after the candle itself had gone out.

(3) B&D Potpourri: Carpet and Room Deodorizer. I chose the mulberry scented powder, as this seemed to be the least floral-smelling of the multitude of fragrances available. Though I have no carpets, I used the powder on my sofa and chairs, vacuuming them off after a few minutes. Not at all overwhelming, and I have to say that for the first time in quite some time, my living room doesn't smell like a kennel. Which is a very nice change of pace, to say the least.

(4) Lilacs. Picked from bushes in the backyard, these fragrant flowers are some of my very favorites. If you have fresh flowers available, either by choosing a bouquet from your local store or simply by picking them yourself, there really is no substitute. Fresh flowers not only change the smell of a place, they can brighten a room and lighten your mood. Forget the cheap imitation powders, candles, and sprays... When in doubt, pick up a bouquet and let the healing begin.

(5) Lemons. Want an inexpensive way to make your kitchen smell fresh and clean all the livelong day? Squeeze a little fresh lemon juice into a vinegar solution for a "green" cleaner that smells great, or grind lemon rind into your garbage disposal to freshen things up a bit. You can also use lemon juice to freshen your toilet and shower - just beware of leaving undiluted lemon juice too long on fixtures, as it does have some surprising power.

(6) Essential oils. As much as I would love to say that a $4 Air Wick is just as good as a $30 bottle of essential chamomile oil, it's just not true. At the end of the day, there is no substitute for quality, and a quality essential oil can revivify your abused nostrils like nothing else. While many oils are expensive, others - like lavender and eucalyptus - are usually not more than $10 to $15. All are super-concentrated, so a small vial can last a good long time. Pick up a diffuser, put two to three drops of the essence of your choice in water, and the world will be your lavender-scented oyster. Your pup will likewise enjoy the calming effects, and your home will smell like heaven.

Whatever path you choose to keep your home smelling fresh and clean, remember to keep cleaning agents away from curious pups. When choosing flowers, be sure to stay away from any that might be hazardous to your dog's health, and take note if he (or you) seems to be sneezing, wheezing, or having other respiratory difficulties. And finally, if you notice that your pooch seems to have a perpetually unpleasant body odor, don't just accept it as a matter of course. Chemical imbalances, food allergies, skin conditions, and other physical ailments all may manifest initially as a foul or unnatural smell. Consult your veterinarian to see what can be done to make you and your pup more comfortable, and restore your house to the sweet-smelling haven it should be.

No comments: