Semi Permanent Hiatus

Writerly pursuits have unfortunately prevented me from posting for quite some time. I do hope to return to regular posts in the future, and so will keep the blog up until that time either does or does not happen. In the meantime, feel free to peruse the articles posted here or contact me with any questions. Thanks for reading! - Jen

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Return of the Prodigal Daughter

I know it's been many, many moons since my last post - life seemingly got in the way, and I've been carried away with it ever since! But I'm pleased to say that things seem to be getting more manageable and I'm gradually easing back into the Wonderful World of Dogs. Right now, the biggest part of that is taking my incredibly lengthy and long overdue final exam with Animal Behavior College. I should get the exam today, and have two weeks to complete the entire thing. Very exciting, though I'm definitely nervous about it. I'll definitely keep folks posted on how it goes!

It will be a while before I'll be able to resume my previous posting schedule (daily articles), but I definitely plan to at least give a nod to some of the many articles and webites I've been reading to keep folks updated on the many exciting things going on in the World of Dog. That starts with a radio show I've been listening to podcasts of a lot lately - Dog Talk, with host Tracie Hotchner. While I don't necessarily agree with everything she has to say, she has some great guests on the show who address issues like nutrition and alternative diets, the proliferation of canine cancer and how to fight it, pet travel, training issues... There are any number of topics in two years' worth of episodes to choose from, so it's a whole host of free information.

And if you haven't swung by my former mentor Marie Finnegan's blog, now is definitely the time to do so. She's just started a raw feeding program for her guys, and has some incredibly helpful tips and links for anyone interested in learning more or just starting out on this tricky but worthwhile road. I've been doing a lot of canine nutrition research and study myself lately, and have also found some wonderful discussions in the Dogster Food & Nutrition forums, as well as those devoted to the Raw Food Diet and Home Prepared Food and Recipes. For those not acquainted with Dogster, it is basically Myspace for pooches. While some people may get a little carried away with it, it really is a wonderful way to connect with other dog lovers, learn a lot about any number of topics concerning you and your pups, and even make friends with other local dogs and dog guardians. If you want the upgraded membership, it's $20 for one year - but unless you have six dozen photos and want access to certain specialized forums, I don't really recommend paying the fee. Of course, if you try it out and decide you can't live without all the Dogster features imaginable, it's always an option.

So, that's what I've been reading and listening to lately. Now that I'm back in the pup-loop again, I'll be sure to post more frequently and will likely host another contest in December. In the meantime, keep those tails wagging and don't forget to venture out and enjoy the crisp fall air with your favorite four-legged friend - it's a great time of year to explore!

No comments: