Semi Permanent Hiatus

Writerly pursuits have unfortunately prevented me from posting for quite some time. I do hope to return to regular posts in the future, and so will keep the blog up until that time either does or does not happen. In the meantime, feel free to peruse the articles posted here or contact me with any questions. Thanks for reading! - Jen

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Thursday's Nutrition Beat: Stocking the Kitchen for Canine Health


If you've ever entertained the notion of making homemade meals for your pooch, you may have been dissuaded once you read a little bit on the subject. It can be overwhelming; in fact, there are still definitely times that I question my own sanity - particularly when I'm in the checkout line at the grocery store, with a few items for myself and a whole parcel for the pups. That feeling goes away when I not only see how healthy Adia and Killian are, but further when I know exactly what is going into their furry bellies each day. A little peace of mind goes a long way, in my book.

At any rate, if you're just starting out or would simply like to give the whole homemade food thing a try, here are a few items that you should always have on hand.

(1) Brown rice. There is some debate as to how great a percentage of carbohydrates are actually necessary for a dog's diet. I tend to stick somewhere in between extremes on both sides, with about 30-percent of my pups' total caloric intake. Brown rice is fairly affordable, easy to prepare, and highly digestible. FYI, white rice is not a good alternative, as it is difficult for dogs to digest.

(2) Veggies! Carrots, celery, yellow squash, zucchini, sweet potatoes, green beans, peas... you get the idea. All of the above are super for your dog, as long as they are well-cooked. In the wild, dogs got their fruits and vegetables by eating the digested remains of whatever was in their prey's stomach. For that reason, dogs do not have the ability to digest raw fruits or vegetables (or carbohydrates, for that matter). An apple or carrot from the fridge isn't a problem, but anything beyond that may cause stomach upset, diarrhea, or constipation. Cut veggies into small pieces, boil in chicken broth, and add to your pup's daily portions. Remember, any change in diet should be done gradually; always introduce new foods in increments over the course of a couple of weeks.

(3) Quinoa or millet. These can be found at most health food stores, or in the health aisle of many supermarkets. Cook up the same way you would brown rice, and use as a tasty base for your dog's food. Both quinoa and millet are a little more expensive than brown rice; often, I'll mix a cup of cooked quinoa in with a couple of cups brown rice to change the texture and give a little variety to the evening meal.

(4) Meat. While there are many folks out there who believe dogs are just fine living as vegetarians, I am not one of them. For me, it is not as much about health as it is outlook... I am a vegetarian, and I am strongly opposed to the methods used by commercial farmers in raising and butchering livestock. But my dogs don't know about that stuff - they just know they really, really like meat. I compromise by using only free-range, organic meats sold at the local co-op. By doing so, I'm not only supporting local, organic farmers, but I'm able to provide the pups with a wide variety of choices: wild turkey, lamb, chicken, fish... They can devour every morsel, and my conscience is clear at the end of the day.

(5) Legumes. Black-eyed peas, kidney beans, and lentils are all great protein sources for your dog. Because meat is expensive, I supplement my pups' nightly protein rations with legumes - usually lentils, because they take the least amount of time to cook, and are pretty inexpensive. Make sure to cook properly and for a long enough period of time, in order to avoid gaseous upset (which isn't fun for your dog or you).

(6) Tofu. Whether or not your dogs are vegetarians, tofu is another great, relatively inexpensive source of protein. It's easy to prepare, and soy has excellent health benefits for dogs. As with the legumes, I typically will cook up some tofu with whatever meat I'm preparing in order to supplement the meal's protein requirement.

(7) Eggs. Oh, how we love them. Eggs are the only 100-percent digestible protein out there for your dogs. I'll often add a raw egg to a finished meal, or will boil up a couple of them when I'm low on other sources of protein. They do wonderful things for your pup's coat, aid in digestion, and are high in both vitamins and minerals.

If you'd just like to start your pup on a more healthful path but don't feel like you can commit whole-hog, try simply adding some homemade bits and pieces to your dog's kibble each day. The standard dog foods have plenty of carbs in there, so don't worry about adding rice or quinoa or anything along those lines just now. Instead, try cooking up some veggies and meat and adding a bit at each meal. Start with just a couple of tablespoons, gradually building up until you're doing a mix of half kibble/ half homemade. Before long, you'll see the difference in your pup's health, coat, and attitude.

Thanks for reading, and be sure to check in for next Thursday's Nutrition Beat, when I'll show you how to create a kitchen herb garden that you and your four-legged friends will love.

No comments: